Contributing Analyst – Ukraine
Freelance – Europe & Remote
In partnership with Paris-based non-profit Reporters Without Borders (RSF) and its Journalism Trust Initiative (JTI), an international journalism standard, NewsGuard is expanding to Ukraine, to evaluate credible news sources. Under the supervision of NewsGuard editorial staff, people involved in this project will engage with designated Ukrainian newsrooms to help them complete their JTI transparency reports, a first step toward their certification, as well as rate their news websites according to NewsGuard’s own methodology, based on nine apolitical criteria of journalistic practice. The project will help reliable newsrooms establish their credibility and transparency to advertisers, digital platforms, funders and tech companies, opening up new possibilities of financing for struggling media.
Ideal candidate qualifications
Our ideal candidate values accuracy, fairness, and journalistic rigor. We look for candidates (journalists, journalism students, researchers with knowledge of the media industry) who…
- Have college journalism experience or one to two years of industry or other relevant professional experience.
- Have excellent writing, reporting, and fact-checking skills with a strong eye for detail.
- Write simply and succinctly, avoiding jargon or flowery language.
- Speak and write fluently in Ukrainian and English.
- Have experience navigating social media platforms and apps for online disinformation.
- Consume and engage with news in various formats, ranging from podcasts and streaming services, to the digital versions of “legacy” news outlets.
- Be curious, thorough, and persistent, with the ability to ferret out information, such as a publication’s ownership or financial backing, through reporting and research.
- Approach the role in a determinedly apolitical, non-ideological manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Ukrainian media landscape, political and cultural issues.
How to apply
- Interested applicants must send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
NewsGuard uses journalism to fight false news, propaganda, and misinformation. Our analysts, who are trained journalists, rate and review online news sources based on nine basic, apolitical journalistic criteria to help readers and viewers know which ones follow basic standards of credibility and transparency–and which do not. NewsGuard was founded by Steven Brill (award-winning journalist and co-founder of The American Lawyer, CourtTV, and other companies) and Gordon Crovitz (former publisher of the Wall Street Journal). NewsGuard’s data is used by a wide range of companies and institutions to combat misinformation, including the World Health Organization, the U.S. State Department and U.S. Cyber Command, the U.K. government, technology companies such as Microsoft and BT, and a wide range of research and academic partners.
Building Trust For All
In order to restore trust and accountability in media, we need to build trust in NewsGuard among news consumers from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives. That’s why we’re committed to creating a team that is diverse and inclusive in every way possible—one that brings a breadth of different experiences, beliefs and perspectives to the table. We aim to hire journalists from a range of racial and ethnic backgrounds, political perspectives, geographical origins, gender identities, and more. NewsGuard is an equal opportunity employer.