Editorial Intern – Summer 2024
Full-time – New York, NY & Remote
NewsGuard offers paid internship opportunities to current students (undergraduate and graduate) and recent graduates (associates/bachelors/masters degree completion within four months of start of internship).
About NewsGuard Internships
NewsGuard’s interns help advance our mission of fighting online misinformation and equipping internet users everywhere with the context they need to find credible news sources online. We aim to ensure every intern leaves with new skills, valuable journalism experience, and new expertise in assessing news media credibility and identifying misinformation.
NewsGuard interns learn and practice high-quality, professional journalism, working directly with experienced reporters and editors, including former senior editors from Reuters, The Associated Press, The Chicago Tribune, and other publications.
Interns are trained in NewsGuard’s techniques for identifying and refuting online misinformation and rating the credibility of news sources — spanning websites, TV news shows and networks, and podcasts. Interns gain a wide range of reporting, research, and writing skills, such as how to uncover the ownership and financing of online news sources, and how to identify and debunk false claims. Interns will develop writing clear, detailed journalistic writing skills while producing detailed reports about the credibility of news and information sources designed for a mass audience.
Interns will be expected to assist with updating and maintaining NewsGuard’s reporting on over 9,000 news and information websites. Interns may also have the opportunity to own specific projects that directly impact NewsGuard’s work fighting misinformation. Past intern projects have included: Developing a system for rating and assessing networks of news websites with similar content and ownership, building out a database of known misinformation narratives and hoaxes, helping to develop and grow a news literacy program that aims to educate internet users ranging from students to senior citizens about how to identify trustworthy information and avoid misinformation online, and contributing to the launch of a broadcast news rating service.
We aim for every intern to leave NewsGuard with bylines, clips, and other specific examples and artifacts of their work that will help them demonstrate what they have learned. For interns who show particular skill and promise, we may also offer full-time positions once they graduate or following the end of the summer program. Interns may also be considered for freelance (contributor) roles at the end of their term.
Requirements and Eligibility
Summer interns must meet the following requirements:
- Be a student at a degree-granting institution or recent graduate
- Be able to work remotely, or in-person in the NYC NewsGuard office
- Be able to work full-time, 40 hours per week
- Actively studying journalism or demonstrate a commitment to the profession through other work, internships or other means
- US-based interns must have work authorization. Interns based in other regions will be considered, depending on visa requirements and needs covering international markets.
- Summer internships run approximately 10 weeks, with all interns starting the week of June 3th, 2024.
- US-based interns are paid $15/hour.
Application Dates and Process
- Applications will be accepted until 5:00pm ET on February 23, 2024.
- Priority given to applications received by December 22, 2023.
- Interviews will run from approximately Wednesday, February 28, 2024, through Friday, March 8, 2024.
Candidates must complete the following tasks for consideration:
- Provide a current resume/CV with relevant academic and/or professional work experiences
- Complete a questionnaire
- Provide three references (academic and/or professional)
- Submit the above items via NewsGuard’s application form
- Be available for interview(s) with NewsGuard staff members