Editorial and Partnerships Lead – Germany
Full Time – Remote
The Editorial and Partnerships Lead for Germany will oversee editorial and business development efforts in Germany, develop relationships with key stakeholders, and further NewsGuard’s mission of fighting misinformation using journalism and restoring trust in the media.
This individual will manage Germany’s editorial team, recruit German staffers and freelancers as needed, write and edit detailed reliability ratings for news and information sites based on apolitical, journalistic criteria, and write in-depth, high-profile reports about key trends and issues in online misinformation.
The Editorial and Partnerships Lead for Germany will also be an advocate for NewsGuard’s mission in myriad industries — from technology to education to advertising — and work within our tight-knit partnerships team to identify new opportunities, lead strategic internal projects, and execute commercial initiatives.
Good candidates for this job will:
- Have at least 5 years experience with news or fact-checking organizations.
- Have 1-2 years of direct business development experience — from sourcing to closing deals — preferably in a partnerships role with a wide variety of clients.
- Have excellent writing, reporting, and fact-checking skills with a strong eye for detail.
- Have experience navigating social media platforms and apps for online disinformation.
- Be curious, thorough, and persistent, with the ability to ferret out information, such as a publication’s ownership or financial backing, through reporting and research.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the German-speaking media landscape, political and cultural issues.
- Approach the role in a determinedly apolitical, non-ideological manner.
- Speak and write fluently in German and English.
- Be eager to work for a fast-paced, ambitious, journalism organization obsessed with quality and where the product and processes are continually evolving.
- Be committed to NewsGuard’s mission and vision.
Responsibilities will include:
- Serve as the editorial lead for German-speaking countries.
- Recruit, and supervise NewsGuard staff and freelancers assigned to cover the region.
- Work in concert with other editorial advisors.
- Offer context and advice to the company’s editorial leaders about local market and journalistic traditions.
- Identify and act on opportunities for local publicity and engagement.
- Source potential partners in a variety of industries — from technology to education to advertising — and execute commercial initiatives.
- Collaborate with our partnerships team to identify new opportunities.
- Writing, editing and updating NewsGuard Nutrition Labels, evaluating news sites for credibility and transparency. These will be focused on, but not limited to, German publications.
- Contribute to NewsGuard’s established publications, such as the Misinformation Monitor and writing Special Reports.
NewsGuard uses journalism to fight false news, propaganda, and misinformation. Our analysts, who are trained journalists, rate and review online news sources based on nine basic, apolitical journalistic criteria to help readers and viewers know which ones follow basic standards of credibility and transparency – and which do not. NewsGuard was founded by – Steven Brill (award-winning journalist and co-founder of The American Lawyer, CourtTV, and other companies) and Gordon Crovitz (former publisher of the Wall Street Journal). NewsGuard’s data is used by a wide range of companies and institutions to combat misinformation, including the World Health Organization, the U.S. State Department and U.S. Cyber Command, the U.K. government, technology companies such as Microsoft and BT, and a wide range of research and academic partners.
Building Trust For All
In order to restore trust and accountability in media, we need to build trust in NewsGuard among news consumers from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives. That’s why we’re committed to creating a team that is diverse and inclusive in every way possible—one that brings a breadth of different experiences, beliefs and perspectives to the table. We aim to hire journalists from a range of racial and ethnic backgrounds, political perspectives, geographical origins, gender identities, and more. NewsGuard is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must complete a short writing exercise and submit a resume and cover letter through NewsGuard’s application form.