Staff Reporter, Media and Misinformation
Full Time – New York, NY & Remote
NewsGuard’s analysts fight misinformation and disinformation, primarily by producing detailed ratings for news and information sites that assess each site’s trustworthiness based on nine apolitical, journalistic criteria.
Journalists at NewsGuard use reporting skills to track down funding and ownership for anonymous websites that spread falsehoods, debunk inaccuracies, and preemptively warn users about dubious sources before they are widely shared.
NewsGuard analysts also have the opportunity to write in-depth, high-profile reports about key trends and issues in online misinformation. NewsGuard’s reporting is regularly covered and cross-published in outlets such as the New York Times, The Guardian, the Wall Street Journal, Les Echos, WELT, La Repubblica, the Washington Post, POLITICO, and others.
Good candidates for this job will:
- Have excellent writing, reporting, and fact-checking skills with a strong eye for detail.
- Write simply and succinctly, avoiding jargon or flowery language.
- Have experience navigating social media platforms and apps for online disinformation.
- Be curious, thorough, and persistent, with the ability to ferret out information, such as a publication’s ownership or financial backing, through reporting and research.
- Demonstrate knowledge of local culture, language and media landscape in markets NewsGuard operates in, such as the US, UK, Germany, France, Italy and Canada
- Approach the role in a determinedly apolitical, non-ideological manner.
- Be eager to work for a fast-paced, ambitious, journalism organization obsessed with quality and where the product and processes are continually evolving.
- Be eager to be mentored and have their careers advanced by some of the most accomplished journalists in the business.
- Be committed to NewsGuard’s mission and vision.
Although some news experience is preferred, NewsGuard will consider entry-level applicants with excellent internship, college journalism, or other writing experience.
While the ability to work from our Manhattan offices is a plus, it is not a requirement—we consider applications from remote workers seriously.
NewsGuard uses journalism to fight false news, propaganda, and misinformation. Our analysts, who are trained journalists, rate and review online news sources based on nine basic, apolitical journalistic criteria to help readers and viewers know which ones follow basic standards of credibility and transparency–and which do not. NewsGuard was founded by –Steven Brill (award-winning journalist and co-founder of The American Lawyer, CourtTV, and other companies) and Gordon Crovitz (former publisher of the Wall Street Journal). NewsGuard’s data is used by a wide range of companies and institutions to combat misinformation, including the World Health Organization, the U.S. State Department and U.S. Cyber Command, the U.K. government, technology companies such as Microsoft and BT, and a wide range of research and academic partners.
Building Trust For All
In order to restore trust and accountability in media, we need to build trust in NewsGuard among news consumers from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives. That’s why we’re committed to creating a team that is diverse and inclusive in every way possible—one that brings a breadth of different experiences, beliefs and perspectives to the table. We aim to hire journalists from a range of racial and ethnic backgrounds, political perspectives, geographical origins, gender identities, and more. NewsGuard is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must complete a short writing exercise and submit a resume and cover letter through NewsGuard’s application form.