Staff Reporter, Media and Misinformation, France
Full Time – Remote
NewsGuard’s analysts fight misinformation and disinformation, primarily by producing detailed ratings for news and information sites that assess each site’s trustworthiness based on nine apolitical, journalistic criteria.
Journalists at NewsGuard use reporting skills to track down funding and ownership for anonymous websites that spread falsehoods, debunk inaccuracies, and preemptively warn users about dubious sources before they are widely shared. The France reporter will cover francophone media and misinformation sources, and help the country leader with other tasks in that market.
In addition to rating news and information sites, NewsGuard’s analysts have the opportunity to write in-depth, high-profile reports about key trends and issues in online misinformation. NewsGuard’s reporting is regularly covered and cross-published in outlets such as the New York Times, The Guardian, the Wall Street Journal, Les Echos, Welt, Le Monde, La Repubblica, the Washington Post, Politico, Newsweek, and others.
Good candidates for this job will:
- Have college journalism experience or one to four years of industry or other relevant professional experience.
- Be perfectly bilingual in English and French, both in writing and speaking.
- Have excellent writing, reporting, and fact-checking skills with a strong eye for detail.
- Write simply and succinctly, avoiding jargon or flowery language.
- Have experience navigating social media platforms and apps for online disinformation.
- Consume and engage with news in various formats, ranging from podcasts and streaming services, to the digital versions of “legacy” news outlets.
- Be curious, thorough, and persistent, with the ability to ferret out information, such as a publication’s ownership or financial backing, through reporting and research.
- Approach the role in a determinedly apolitical, non-ideological manner.
- Be eager to work for a fast-paced, ambitious, journalism organization obsessed with quality and where the product and processes are continually evolving.
- Be eager to be mentored and have their careers advanced by some of the most accomplished journalists in the business.
- Be committed to NewsGuard’s mission and vision.
NewsGuard is headquartered in New York City. For this position, however, candidates may work remotely from anywhere in the world.
- €49.000 – €56.700 per year, depending on experience.
Application Dates and Process
- Applications are due before April 10, 2023.
- Applications will be reviewed, and interviews held, on a rolling basis between now and mid-April 2023. NewsGuard will contact applicants for an initial interview, with the potential for follow up meeting(s) with senior staff.
Candidates must complete the following tasks for consideration:
- Provide a current resume/CV with professional work experiences (cover letter optional, but encouraged).
- Provide three references.
- Submit the above items via NewsGuard’s application form.
- Be available for interview(s) with NewsGuard staff members and able to take a writing test.