We help you decide which news sources to trust — with ratings from humans, not algorithms.
With trust ratings for over 6,000 websites produced by real journalists, NewsGuard gives you all the context you need as you read news online. Try NewsGuard today for free with a two-week trial. After two weeks, membership costs just $2.95/month in the U.S., £2.95 in the UK or €2.95 in the EU.
How It Works
1. NewsGuard’s browser extension displays red and green rating icons next to links on search engines, social media feeds, and other platforms.
2. Red icons indicate untrustworty sites, while green icons indicate sites that are generally reliable. Orange icons indicate satire sites, and grey icons indicate platforms with user-generated content.
3. Hover over an icon to see a summary of NewsGuard’s rating for each site–written by trained analysts with journalism experience.
4. Click through to see a detailed trust rating and “Nutrition Label” for the site written by NewsGuard’s analysts.
Get NewsGuard for your browser or mobile phone today:
NewsGuard Membership: What You’ll Get
- Unlimited access to our browser extension with ratings of more than 6,000 websites that account for 95% of engagement with news in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany and Italy.
- Ratings icons next to links in your links on all of the top search engines, social media platforms, and news aggregation sites.
- Summaries showing who owns each site, its political leaning if any, and how it performs on nine journalistic criteria.
- Detailed written descriptions of each site and why they passed or failed the nine criteria.
- Warnings on hoax healthcare sites peddling unreliable advice and miracle cures.
- Warnings on political propaganda news sites funded by campaigns or PACs.
- Warnings on from hoaxes, conspiracy theories, advertising posing as news, and other unreliable sites.
- A reliability score of 0-100 for each site based on its performance on our nine criteria. We’ve always said that not all Greens (or Reds) are the same; now, you’ll see the numbers.
- Access to NewsGuard’s mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Access to each edition of the Misinformation Monitor, our newsletter about online misinformation in the U.S. and Europe.