Vice President for AI Trust & Safety
Full-time – New York, NY & Remote
NewsGuard is seeking a senior executive to lead its Trust & Safety Partnerships with generative AI providers.
The new AI models have great potential, but for them to meet their enormous potential they must overcome their propensity to “hallucinate,” including to spread or create false claims relating to topics in the news.
NewsGuard’s Misinformation Fingerprints (its machine-readable catalog of thousands of false narratives circulating online) and reliability ratings for 30,000 online news sources offer unique trust data for fine tuning and guardrails for generative AI providers. We are already in licensing discussions with most of the top companies in this emerging industry and our data is already used by Microsoft for Bing Chat.
Thus, we need a senior executive who can help us better understand the needs of the AI models and tailor our unique offering in a way that makes the use of our data the most effective and creates partnerships that are highly productive for both sides.
NewsGuard is a good fit for those who want to:
- Play an integral role in the NewsGuard mission of countering misinformation, promoting quality journalism and making the online information landscape a healthier, more trustworthy place
- Work with professionals who are leading the charge in reshaping the online information ecosystem for the better
- Have a key role at an early-stage growth company
Requirements and Eligibility
Applicants for the role of Vice President for AI Trust & Safety should meet the following requirements:
- Be able to work remotely in the U.S. or U.K. or in-person in NewsGuard’s office in New York.
- Have 3+ years of experience working in trust and safety focused on misinformation or a related threat intelligence/information operations and/or have experience working at a generative AI provider, preferably in a product management, policy or partnerships role
- Have a deep knowledge of the generative AI industry, including the functioning of LLMs, and their trust and safety operations and challenges
- Have a keen interest in and knowledge of the intricacies and challenges surrounding online misinformation
$90,000 – $250,000 USD (salary + bonus opportunities), depending on experience
Application Dates and Process
This is an open application process.
Candidates must complete the following tasks for consideration:
- Provide a current resume/CV with relevant academic and/or professional work experiences
- Provide two references (academic and/or professional)
- Be available for interview(s) with NewsGuard staff members
- Complete a written evaluation exercise
NewsGuard uses journalism to fight false news, propaganda, and misinformation. Our analysts, who are trained journalists, rate and review online news sources based on nine basic, apolitical journalistic criteria to help readers and viewers know which ones follow basic standards of credibility and transparency–and which do not. NewsGuard was founded by –Steven Brill (award-winning journalist and co-founder of The American Lawyer, CourtTV, and other companies) and Gordon Crovitz (former publisher of the Wall Street Journal). NewsGuard’s data is used by a wide range of companies and institutions to combat misinformation, including the World Health Organization, the U.S. State Department and U.S. Cyber Command, the U.K. government, technology companies such as Microsoft and BT, and a wide range of research and academic partners.
Building Trust For All
In order to restore trust and accountability in media, we need to build trust in NewsGuard among news consumers from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives. That’s why we’re committed to creating a team that is diverse and inclusive in every way possible—one that brings a breadth of different experiences, beliefs and perspectives to the table. We aim to hire journalists from a range of racial and ethnic backgrounds, political perspectives, geographical origins, gender identities, and more. NewsGuard is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.