Senior Advisor – Ukraine
Freelance – Europe & Remote
In partnership with Paris-based non-profit Reporters Without Borders (RSF) and its Journalism Trust Initiative (JTI), an international journalism standard, NewsGuard is expanding to Ukraine, to evaluate credible news sources in Ukraine. Under the supervision of NewsGuard editorial staff, the Senior Advisor for Ukraine will review all analyses of Ukrainian media produced for this project, to make sure they accurately reflect the quality of each media. All analyses will be produced in English and include both NewsGuard Nutrition Labels and JTI transparency reports. Twenty-five analyses will be produced within the first three months, with the high probability for more work later on, as the project expands. The project will help reliable newsrooms establish their credibility and transparency to advertisers, digital platforms, funders and tech companies, opening up new possibilities of financing for struggling media.
Ideal candidate qualifications
- Have at least 5 years experience with news or fact-checking organizations – preferably in Ukraine or reporting on the country.
- Have excellent writing, reporting, and fact-checking skills with a strong eye for detail.
- Have experience navigating social media platforms and apps for online disinformation.
- Be curious, thorough, and persistent, with the ability to ferret out information, such as a publication’s ownership or financial backing, through reporting and research.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Ukrainian media landscape, political and cultural issues.
- Speak and write fluently in Ukrainian and English.
- Approach the role in a determinedly apolitical, non-ideological manner.
How to Apply
- Interested applicants must send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
NewsGuard uses journalism to fight false news, propaganda, and misinformation. Our analysts, who are trained journalists, rate and review online news sources based on nine basic, apolitical journalistic criteria to help readers and viewers know which ones follow basic standards of credibility and transparency–and which do not. NewsGuard was founded by Steven Brill (award-winning journalist and co-founder of The American Lawyer, CourtTV, and other companies) and Gordon Crovitz (former publisher of the Wall Street Journal). NewsGuard’s data is used by a wide range of companies and institutions to combat misinformation, including the World Health Organization, the U.S. State Department and U.S. Cyber Command, the U.K. government, technology companies such as Microsoft and BT, and a wide range of research and academic partners.
Building Trust For All
In order to restore trust and accountability in media, we need to build trust in NewsGuard among news consumers from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives. That’s why we’re committed to creating a team that is diverse and inclusive in every way possible—one that brings a breadth of different experiences, beliefs and perspectives to the table. We aim to hire journalists from a range of racial and ethnic backgrounds, political perspectives, geographical origins, gender identities, and more. NewsGuard is an equal opportunity employer.