Staff Reporter, Media and Misinformation
Full Time – U.S (NYC office and remote options)
NewsGuard’s analysts fight misinformation and disinformation, primarily by producing detailed ratings for news and information sites that assess each site’s trustworthiness based on nine apolitical, journalistic criteria.
Journalists at NewsGuard use reporting skills to track down funding and ownership for anonymous websites that spread falsehoods, debunk inaccuracies, and preemptively warn users about dubious sources before they are widely shared.
In addition to rating news and information sites, NewsGuard’s analysts assess TV news programs and networks, streaming news channels, and podcasts.
NewsGuard analysts also have the opportunity to write in-depth, high-profile reports about key trends and issues in online misinformation. NewsGuard’s reporting is regularly covered and cross-published in outlets such as the New York Times, The Guardian, the Wall Street Journal, Les Echos, Welt, La Repubblica, the Washington Post, Politico, Newsweek, and others.
Good candidates for this job will:
- Have college journalism experience or one to two years of industry or other relevant professional experience.
- Have excellent writing, reporting, and fact-checking skills with a strong eye for detail.
- Write simply and succinctly, avoiding jargon or flowery language.
- Have experience navigating social media platforms and apps for online disinformation.
- Consume and engage with news in various formats, ranging from podcasts and streaming services, to the digital versions of “legacy” news outlets.
- Be curious, thorough, and persistent, with the ability to ferret out information, such as a publication’s ownership or financial backing, through reporting and research.
- Approach the role in a determinedly apolitical, non-ideological manner.
- Be eager to work for a fast-paced, ambitious, journalism organization obsessed with quality and where the product and processes are continually evolving.
- Be eager to be mentored and have their careers advanced by some of the most accomplished journalists in the business.
- Be committed to NewsGuard’s mission and vision.
NewsGuard is headquartered in New York City. The ability to work from New York is preferred, but many of our analysts work around the world, and strong remote candidates will be considered.
- US-based staff: $52,000 – $70,000 per year, depending on experience.
Application Dates and Process
- Applications will be reviewed, and interviews held, on a rolling basis. NewsGuard will contact applicants for an initial interview, with the potential for follow up meeting(s) with senior staff.
Candidates must complete the following tasks for consideration:
- Provide a current resume/CV with professional work experiences (cover letter optional, but encouraged).
- Provide three references.
- Submit the above items via NewsGuard’s application form.
- Be available for interview(s) with NewsGuard staff members and able to take a writing test.